Time is a very precious resource. We are allotted 24 hours a day. There is nothing we can do to have more than 24 hours in a day or 60 seconds in a minute. I recently made some changes to my schedule and to how I spend my time. There is no better time than at the beginning of the year to ask yourself the question: How are you spending your time? I am not asking you to give a dissertation about your time but this is a time to make some changes to your time. I am going to give you some firsthand information based on my experience.
- Self-care: You must take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone else. Sleep is not self-care. Sleep is essential to your health. You need to schedule time where you are investing yourself. It can be as grand as having a spa weekend to something as simple as watching a movie while you are home alone. I used to put myself at the bottom of my list. I was so unhappy. Now, I am full of joy and it is easy for me to pour into others.
- Communication: I know we live in a crazy world and that all of us are busy. It should not take weeks or months for a return phone call or text. There is too much technology in this world for it to take weeks and months for a return communication. When two people are committed to something real, you must sacrifice. If you and someone are taking weeks or months to connect, you may not be friends but associates. I had to ask myself some difficult questions recently about waiting for a return phone call or text for months. I then had to make the realization I was in an association and not a friendship.
- Sleep: You must sleep. I am not talking about shutting your eyes for three hours and saying you slept. You need to get adequate sleep daily. You need sleep so that you can stay healthy and be energized. When you do not get enough sleep, that mean you are jeopardizing your health and productivity. You need ask yourself this question: What do you need to remove from your life so you can get enough sleep? Sleep is a very important part of my life. I try to even incorporate naps on weekends.
- Face to Face: There is nothing like face to face time with the people you care about the most. There is nothing like eating a meal, creating or sharing a memory, laughing, crying and more in person. We are very thankful for texts, social media, email and phones. There is nothing like having face to face time. You should make this a priority. I know when we are busy this is not a reality but schedule your face to face time weeks or months ahead of time. Also, put it on your calendar.
- Investment: Everything in your life should be giving you life. You should not be doing anything that drains the life out of you. You should be doing things and spending time with people who empower and encourage you to be the best version of yourself. Your time should be invested in people, places and things that will make you and your life fruitful and full of joy. I used to invest in people that drained everything out of me. When I came to my senses, I could use my time so much better.
- Boundaries: Boundaries will change your life. You need to have boundaries on your time. Your time must be allotted in a meaningful manner so that the people who you love the most, get the best of your time. If you show up to the most important aspects of your life tired and drained, that is not fair to you and the people you treasure the most. Boundaries changed my life and I would highly recommend you evaluate your boundaries.
- Peace: There is a peace that you will obtain when you run your schedule. Your schedule should not run you or your life. You are deserving of peace. I remember when I was living a life that was exhausting. My schedule was running my life. One day, I reevaluated my life and schedule. Now, I have such a free-flowing schedule that incorporates self-care, time for my tribe, investment into my dreams and more.
It is 2020. This is a new decade and year. This is our time to thrive and live a life of excellence. We do not have to live lives where we are tired, ill, depleted and more. We can live a life where we can enjoy our lives and use our time wisely. Here is to us utilizing our time and enjoy what life must offer.