Online dating is a useful tool for dating. The purpose of online dating is to make a connection with someone for the purposes of a friendship, long term relationship and marriage. Online dating has a lot of benefits and headaches but if used correctly you can find true love. I know I sound like a commercial for Match.com but I am not being paid. In fact, I am writing this blog to empower all of us when it comes to online dating.
- What is your motive?: Why are you doing online dating? Are you looking for marriage, a friendship or something to occupy your free time? Whatever your motive, you need to be honest with yourself as to why you are doing online dating.
- Profile: You need to have a transparent profile. You must use recent pictures of yourself in different settings and share basic details about your life. Please do not share every detail or your life but you should not be secretive. The purpose of your profile is for potential suitors to get to know you.
- Honesty: You need to be honest in your profile. We must remember that online dating is not a game. We are dealing with the hearts of other people. Can you imagine making a connection with someone just to find out the person lied and to you? Honesty is the key and a very essential foundation to your dating relationship.
- Communication: I would recommend waiting at least a week before exchanging phone numbers. You should use the communication tools on the website before giving away your personal information. You want to make sure this person is deserving of having instant access to you. Also, do not allow someone to wait days to hear from you. In the beginning you should be communicating very regularly with the other party. If you are busy, communicate that and do not allow someone to wait hear from you.
- Red Flags: You cannot ignore red flags. If the person you are communicating with begins to talk about marriage, money or meeting right away you need to be very careful. Sometimes, we can become so focused on a potential relationship that we ignore common sense or our gut. So be very careful. Your life is worth more than a potential relationship.
- Safety: You must be very careful with protecting yourself. You should never share personal details such as your full name, address, place of employment, make and model of your car, bank account or credit card information, social security number and anything else that is personal. There are a lot of scams and we do not want to inflict pain unto ourselves and our loves ones.
- Deal breakers: You need to be honest with yourself and those around you about your deal breakers. I am a Christian and I cannot compromise that for anyone. You must be honest and be willing to wait until you meet someone who has your deal breakers in common. You should never discard your deal breakers for the sake of a relationship.
Love is a possibility. It takes two to be in love. To get to a true relationship full of love and more, we need to start slowly. We need to take our time. We need to be intentional in our words and actions toward ourselves and those around us. We need to make sure we are ready to be in a relationship. When we approach online dating with honesty, communication, integrity and more, the process will be peaceful and fun. I wish you a happy time of finding love. Here is to true love.