Today is Cyber Monday and many of us have returned to our normal routines. How are you feeling today? Joyful? Happy? Indifferent? Tired? Overextended? Grief-stricken? Guilty? However you are feeling, it is okay for you to be honest and make an analysis to prepare for Christmas, New Years and 2019. No matter how you are feeling, do not condemn yourself. Your past does not determine your future. Let’s explore some ways to recover after the holiday.
- Take a day off: It is okay for you to take a day off. Sometimes with the holidays, we can overbook our time with family, friends and more which reduces our alone time. Also, we may feel a little exhausted or run down. We can spend our day off in pajamas doing nothing and sleeping as much as possible.
- Go to bed earlier: If you are unable to take a day off, you may have to make a decision to go to bed earlier. I took naps during the holidays which was a huge help for me. I also went to bed earlier when I was able to do so. You can use this week to recover your sleep day by day. A couple of nights of good sleep will energize you.
- Check your finances: Do you feel overextended financially? Maybe you spent too much money on Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Whatever the case, do not be surprised. Take a look at how much you spent last week. If you feel overextended, you can make a decision to scale back. Also, check with your monthly bills to see if you can make reductions such as switching cell phone providers and more.
- Exercise: I made a decision to workout four days last week. I know for me and my health, I need it. You may not want to workout four days a week. I would recommend you find something you like to do. I love Kickboxing, HITT, Tabata, Strength Training, and Zumba. Find what you love to do and have fun. If you love the workout, you are more likely to enjoy it and do it often.
- Food: I was intentional with my eating but still enjoyed a variety of foods. You can do meal prep and also enjoy some of your favorite dishes but with a healthy twist. Also, moderation is key. You can indulge a little bit without overeating. It is possible, you just have to plan ahead.
- Pampering: Do you need to boost your mood? Do you feel like you spent your whole holiday serving people? You should do something nice for yourself. You can treat yourself for a nice meal, do a mani-pedi, get a new outfit, book a trip for next year and so on. Whatever you decide to do, you deserve to do something nice for yourself.
- It is okay to cry: Have you been dealing with a life changing event? Maybe the event occurred months or years ago and you never grieved. It is okay for you to grieve. I pray that you will get comfort. I commend you for recognizing your grief. You may have different avenues of recovering which maybe venting to loved ones and friends, therapy or taking time off. I pray you will be comforted.