We are now living in a generation where everything is password protected and at times instant. You don’t have to mail an invite but you can do electronic invites or inbox your crew (Evite is my favorite). When you are in a committed relationship, honest and open communication is essential. Social media will be an important topic of conversation. You have to make compromises and also be transparent with your mate. Social Media is a wonderful tool but it can also cause a lot of unnecessary grief. Here are some things to consider.
- Name all your accounts (even the secret ones): You have to be completely honest about all your accounts. I did not say hand over your passwords but you cannot build a solid foundation of trust if you are not completely honest about how many accounts belong to you.
- Personal boundaries: Do you want every detail of your life online? Do you want everyone to know that you are in a relationship? How do you feel about pictures of you and your boo being online? You need to have a discussion about this and more so that you will be on the same page.
- Relationship boundaries: If you are in an exclusive relationship, your DMs should not be full of messages or pictures from someone who your mate does not know about. It is secretive and could lead to fights and an affair. You may have to block these people. Even if your mate knows the person, emotional and extended offline messages are not appropriate.
- No Stalking allowed: If you have questions about something your mate said or did online, ask them. Do not stalk them or use a friend to get some info. Be direct and do not become an investigator.
- Private accounts: It is okay to have private accounts but your mate should be able to follow you. If your mate is resistant to you following them, you need to have a conversation about that. Relationships should be transparent.
- Balance: If you spend more time on social media and it is not your job, that is a problem. The greatest way to show love is not to just say it but to spend time with your partner.
The key is to talk about social media and be honest. This will save you a lot of grief later on. Love is beautiful and this is another level to make your relationship more authentic and stronger.