We live in a time where people do not hide their dislike for someone or something. I want to take a moment to discuss a behavior that we hear about but rarely discuss. I am talking about haters. Haters in my opinion are people who display or have strong dislike someone or something for no reason and tend to be very envious or jealous. What makes it worse is these people tend to be passive aggressive about their dislike. So how do you know if you or the people closest to you are haters? I would keep an eye out for some of the keys below.
- Social Media Trolls: Freedom of Speech is a right of everyone. However, hiding behind a screen and spreading dislike on an individual’s or company’s social media page, makes no sense. If you dislike someone or something on social media, you should stop following them. You should also ask yourself why do you have so much dislike for the person or thing?
- Authentic Congratulations: When someone reaches a milestone, why do people decide them to talk about everything but the milestone to put down the person? If you cannot truly be happy for someone, do not say anything. There is no reason to give a fake congratulations and then talk about the person behind their back.
- Hard work equals success: It is so easy to look at someone on the mountaintop and judge them but usually a lot of hard work, sacrifice and determination to become successful. We may see the end result but we do not know about the sleepless nights, depleted bank accounts, betrayals of friend, family, significant others and associates that occurred before the success became a lifestyle. So before you hate on someone, take a step back and ask why you are being a hater?
- Your stamp of approval is not needed: You may find this hard this to believe but no one needs your stamp of approval to succeed. If someone is getting paid to live their dream, married to their spouse, is a great parent to their children and so on, they are not worried about what you think. So being a hater on their life not negate it. All it shows is that you are petty and once again, why are you so mad?
- Take your advice: I am always amazed how someone can give a dissertation on someone else’s life but cannot create a sentence for their own. The time in effort that you take on being hater can be applied to bettering your life. Take your own advice.
- You reap what you sow: If you sow seeds of bitterness, envy and hatred, you will reap it one way or another. You may hit a milestone and don’t you want to be celebrated? Well celebrate other people while you are accomplishing your own goals.
- Stop it: Make a decision that you are not going to be a hater. Decide that you are going to take the high road and that you are not going to display gutter behavior. There is not reason to live as a hater when you can live in love and walk in it.
Rise above being a hater and love life and the people in it. You have the potential to be great. Imagine living a life where you can celebrate other people and also enjoy the favor of being celebrated in return.