Today is known for a lot of tricks and treats because it is Halloween but it is also a reminder than one-third of the fourth quarter is gone. This year will close in about 62 days. You still have plenty of time to make some changes. Are you tired of making the same resolution every year? Are you tired of making the same excuses for why something has not been done yet or why you continue to do the same thing over and over again with the same result? Well this is the time to make those changes. Making changes does not mean everything will change overnight but let us try to intentionally and slowly improve our quality of life. To see my previous article on the fourth quarter, click here. Let’s dig a little deeper.
- Boundaries: Sometimes you may have to make a decision to start or stop doing something to gain or maintain your sanity. Sometimes you may even have to start a new tradition or modify your current one. As we approach, the fall holidays you may now have a new norm. It is important to start having conversations about these changes with the people who will be impacted right now and not wait to the day before or the day of an event to have a serious conversation. You can read more about boundaries by clicking here.
- You health: Our health is not just physical but also emotional, spiritual, social and mental also to just name a few. Have you take inventory in these areas? First, I would encourage you to be gracious to yourself. Sometimes, we can become so busy that we lose track of something. It is okay to say yes, no or let me think about it before committing yourself to something that could change your health. Click here to learn more about joy vs happiness.
- Your Contacts: You can modify your contacts. Suppose you used be super close to someone and you had all their contact info. You can scale back to an email address or a phone number. You can also completely remove the person from your contacts. Also, make a decision to invest in people who also invest in you. When I mean invest, it maybe their time, talent or money. Make sure you find at least a good and loyal potential friendship for 2019. Great things take time to develop.
- Friendships and Relationships: So as you consider buying gifts and blocking out time for people in the next few weeks, ask yourself if you are truly in an authentic friendship or relationship? A true friendship or relationship involves sacrifice and being authentic. People will disappoint us but that should not be the case 90% of the time. Also, it takes two to be in a friendship or relationship. Are you meeting your friends or mate halfway? Are you giving them the benefit of doubt? Never take anyone for granted. I would encourage you to take the time the rest of the year to show appreciation to everyone who you care about and love. Sometimes, we assume people know how we feel but it does not hurt to say out loud.
- Goals: You do not to accomplish your goals all at once. You can modify your list and sometimes seeing your goals will make them more real. I would encourage you to do a vision board or ask yourself, why do you have these goals? Is it for your loved ones or for yourself? Remember the who or why as you approach your goals.
- Finances: You are allowed to enjoy the fruits of your labor. You can also tackle debt or a savings plan little by little. Find someone in your life that you trust who can hold you accountable in this area. Someone who can hold you accountable in love while guiding you toward your goal. I am telling you two people or more make the heaving lifting in life so much lighter and bearable.
- You are a Gift: You are a gift to this world. There will never be another person who looks, thinks or moves like you. No matter where you are in your life right now, know that you are greater than your biggest setback and it is a setup for your next victory. Let’s us finish 2018 strong so we can be refreshed and ready for 2019.