Whether you have been in love for a while or are newly committed, every relationship faces a moment when your schedules are no longer in sync. It maybe because of a business or personal trip, a wedding party commitment, a new schedule at work or a trip booked before you became an item. You will survive it but it takes some planning. Here is a disclaimer: Do not become the friend who is so engrossed in your relationship, you only reach out to your friends only when your significant other is away or busy. People are much smarter than you think. So let us discuss some ways to make the time pass by quickly and also making this period bearable. Before you know it, you will be “reunited and it will feel so good”.
- Capitalize on your free time: Between the two of you, find a time that works for a phone call or video chat. It could be while one person is driving or during a break at work. It may not be for hours but sometimes a few minutes makes all the difference.
- Send love messages: You may be on opposite time schedules or time zones but thanks to technology, you can stay in touch better. You can send a text, email or even leave a voice message. This is a great way for your significant other to know you are still the one.
- Start a new routine: Have you been meaning to start working out? Maybe you were going to start making your breakfast instead of buying it? This would be a great time to test out something new to either adapt to your life or cross this off your list of things to try.
- Next date: Plan you next date with your significant other when they return. It gives you both something to look forward to while giving you something to do. Try a new restaurant or see the movie you have been discussing. Opentable is a great start.
- Socialize: Check out what you have coming up on your social calendar. Have an outing with friends and family? Is your job having a community service event? Is your church having a bake sale? Does your friend need help tagging items for a yard sale? Why not go to the sporting your friend asked you about weeks ago?
- Catch up on your DVR, Netflix or Hulu: Sometimes a good old binge of your DVR or Netflix or Hulu is good for the soul. Why not start a new show or get caught up on a show.
- Make a change?: Have you been thinking of changing your hair color or getting a new haircut or adding some hair? Maybe you want to buy a new outfit or revamp your wardrobe? This would be a good time to explore your options.
- Sleep: Yes I know this seems basic but get some sleep. This would be a great time to get some rest and when your significant other comes back, you will be energized.
- Date yourself: Yes you can date yourself. It may sound strange but you can wine and dine yourself. If you need some ideas, click here.