I am a very beautiful, proud and strong Nigerian-American woman. I will say it took a lot of pain and time for me to come to this place. I want to talk about hair more specifically black hair. When I was a child, I got perms because my hair was extremely course. I did not realize my hair was stunning but I thought something was wrong my hair because it was not straight and flowing, my standard as a child of beautiful hair. So I did get perms for decades and finally in 2013, I stopped. I decided they were no longer helpful and I was not trying to spend time and money trying to maintain something that was not working.
If you get perms and they work for you, good for you. I just want us to agree that no matter what our hair looks like, we are beautiful. So perms, weaves, dreads and the like are all beautiful. So I workout four to five days a week so I can keep my hair in its natural state or I may get it blown out. I am going to list some of the products that have worked for me. I am not being paid to discuss these products. I am just personally stating my opinion to help someone who may be looking for some guidance. I am excited there are so many more options for our hair now. These products are in no particular order.
- Silk Elements: Sally Beauty has developed a line of products that can keep you looking great whether you want to maintain your natural coil or you want to soften your coil. Some of my favorite products from the relaxed and natural line include the shampoo, moisturizing treatment, Mayonnaise and the light and non oily heat protection spray (in coconut or olive oil).
- E’Tae: This organic line of products are good for whatever you are doing to your hair. Please make sure you follow the directions and do not use anything that is not sulfate free because the results will not be as great. My favorite product from this line is of course the caramel treatment. Keep in mind only select retailers sell this line. They also have a very friendly user-friendly website so you can buy online also.
- Beautiful Textures: I love this line. I used this line when I was transitioning and it helped so much. When your hair is between being relaxed and natural, every product does not adapt. I was able to use this line after my transition for maintaining my natural look or for days when I wanted to flip my hair (straightening my hair). The products are cheap and can be found at Target and Walmart. My favorite products are the Moisture Butter, Texture Manageability System and the Curly to Straight Flat Iron Silkener.
- Aussie: This line of stuff is fantastic. I love how clean my hair is after a wash and condition. Also, the 7–in-1 Conditioner really moisturizes and softens my hair. Also, everything is cheap and can be found anywhere that sells shampoo. I have used these products for a silk press but I pair it with a clarifying shampoo. My super thick hair needs a lot of tender loving care. I love a lot of their products.
- Cantu: These products are great and their natural hair line is wonderful. In addition to being cheap, you can use these products for your hair whether you are relaxed, transitioning and natural. Make sure you look at the labels for your appropriate hair texture or goal. Also, they have products for kids and men so you can buy products for the entire family. My go to products are the Sulfate-Free Cleaning Cream Shampoo and Hydrating Cream Conditioner and the Leave-In- Conditioning Cream.
- SheaMoisture: I like everything in this line. I would recommend buying things in bulk to save money. I like everything but my recent favorite line of stuff is the Jamaican Black Castor Oil line. I am planning to try a few more things in this line. Everything makes my hair very clean and also it is so easy to rinse out. Also, you can buy these products anywhere including drug stores.
- Mielle Organics: First of all, I just started using these products this summer. I was not only amazed at how well they worked on my hair but they were 100% organic. My go to line is the Mongongo line but make sure you follow the directions for everything to get the maximum results. My hair is super clean and moisturized. Also, it was not heavily oily or heavy. I actually enjoy using these products.