Patience is a necessary virtue and could make or break your relationship or quest for one. Dictionary.com provides one definition of patience, which comes from the word patient, as “an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay.” So if you are in a relationship or begin the dating process, you have to remind yourself to be patient.
- Take your time: If you are looking for a relationship, take your time. Do not commit to the first person you come across. If your relationship is new, allow the relationship to blossom naturally. If you are in a long-term relationship, you should take your time with your mate. Never take your mate for granted and spend intentional and uninterrupted time with your mate.
- Be patient with yourself: Sometimes, we can be our worst critic. No matter how much the people around us cherish and love us, we can still be so critical. It is okay to hold yourself accountable and want to better yourself. Take any changes you want to make one moment and decision at a time. Progress is not overnight but gradual.
- Be patient with others: There will never be anyone exactly like you. Even if someone looks like you, their personality and mannerisms will differ. So be merciful with everyone around you because everyone is different from you. You cannot conform someone to be like you.
- No one is perfect (including you): Sometimes we can look for someone to be meet our standards 100%. You have to ask yourself what is nonnegotiable. If you have 100 items that are nonnegotiable, you need to revisit your list. You will not be 100% what someone is looking for so you need to extend the same mercy. You have to remember since you are not perfect, that you have to allow for other people’s shortcomings.
- No Shortcuts: You do not need to sabotage an existing relationship or misrepresent yourself to obtain a relationship. Whatever you did to obtain the relationship, you will have to do to maintain it. You are better than shortcuts.
- Don’t be a doormat: Patience is a beautiful virtue but being a doormat is not. If your mate has no respect for you, your relationship or themselves, you need to walk away. If you start dating someone and you feel as you patience has been overextended, you need to reevaluate the relationship.
I wish you plenty of patience and love as your quest for a relationship begins or continues or your current relationship becomes better and stronger. Patience is beautiful!